[plug] Broken Box

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 15:38:00 UTC 2014

On 26/10/14 23:20, Alexander wrote:
> Could it be that your netgear router is also blown.

Good point. I used to swear by netgear because they are good when
they're good, but lost faith in them in my rural locale when three
modem/routers ($180 a pop at the time) got blown in two years from
lightning via the phone line (which I thought I had surge protection on,
and yes I had unplugged from the mains at the time). The netgear
appeared to be working but the PC would not connect, as with your problem.

After that, I switched to top-model billion and (touch wood) no problems
with it after 2.5 years.

[snip]

> On 26/10/14 17:22, David Dartnall wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a linux serviceman please?
>>
>> Story is lightning strike on power pole, a local computer bloke
>> diagnosed a fried mboard and replaced, which at least allowed it to
>> boot but does not recognise the netgear ethernet cable.

With hardware problems it can often be a case of having two of
everything to track down problems. This may just mean borrowing an
alternative device from someone else. Eg., have you tried a different
ethernet cable, have you tried an alternative network card or even a usb
network adapter, have you tried connecting your PC to another
router/modem that is known to work, etc?

As in my cases cited above, I just ended up having a cheapie modem on
hand as a backup for times when my netgear got blown - again! But not
anymore, thankfully.

--
Gavin Chester