[plug] Systemd, good or bad

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Mon Sep 22 03:12:54 UTC 2014

I've heard a few people tout faster boot times as the main positive
thing about systemd. Personally the 3-4 times a year I actually boot a
linux machine makes me care a _lot_ less about boot times and a lot more
about being able to fix broken stuff with basic hand tools.

What I do care about is the ability to bring up and repair a broken
machine without remote hands or worrying about the behavior of a dark
bag of vipers. I can fix and/or tailor init scripts on the fly. I don't
natively speak dbus.

Hibernate/Suspend has worked well now for years. Even my laptop only
gets cold booted a couple of times a year. If I need to boot into
Windows I suspend Linux and pop the battery out. Boot Windows, and when
I re-boot back into linux it just un-hibernates to where I was before.
I suspend2both so if the battery dies I can un-hibernate, otherwise just
wake it up with a keypress and I'm back in.

I guess I'm just grumpy as I see it as yet another case of change for
change's sake. Reading Lennart's blog again it really reads like he
thinks linux will take OSX users by booting as fast as OSX, when in
reality it's the totalitarian stewardship of OSX and the "one true path"
that keeps users. They don't have to worry about dpkg vs rpm or Gnome vs
anything else usable these days. It just works for a majority of the
population and linux will never get there.

When my mum phones up and asks a question about her Mac I can pretty
much talk her through from memory, but when she uses the Ubuntu laptop I
have set up for her to do her banking on I have to vnc in because shit
keeps moving from release to release and I don't use Ubuntu anymore (and
I can't see her coping with Debian and XMonad somehow).

I see systemd as one of those black boxes that "just works", except that
when it doesn't you are looking for a black button illuminated by a
black light on a black control panel on a black wall in a black cave and
it's very likely you'll be eaten by the Grue before you find it.

Don't mind me, I'm just getting old and cantankerous.