[plug] Systemd, good or bad

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Mon Sep 22 11:30:09 UTC 2014

On 22/09/14 17:53, Hani Jabr wrote:
> Fragile systems?  Heck yes. Not the base OS generally, but apps, hardware (how many lots of firmware patches for hardware (inevitably Intel) this year so far?), disk and cluster migrations, app upgrades, OS upgrades.

I'm relatively lucky in that the stuff we work with is actually quite
stable. we get to specify the software and hardware and it gets built to
our standards.

> Do you not run production systems?

Absolutely we do. We just don't do _fragile_.

> When you make a change, is it really acceptable for you to take time tracking down an issue caused by a typo or a misconfiguration 6 months or more ago?

Absolutely. In fact our clients rely on it. We are lucky enough to be
able to spend days chasing down the smallest stability issue.

> Do you not test your changes to make sure the box will come up if it crashes or if you reboot it for some other reason?

Not on the production systems, no. Every change is meticulously tested
in a staging environment (usually 2 or 3 times to ensure the procedure
is correct before deployment and the entire procedure is often scripted
to preclude fat finger errors). This means cloning live machines to
ensure the data set and configuration are current (which can take quite
some time on large arrays). Experimental code or systems can go through
months of rigorous testing before they're certified for deployment.

> Do you not have change windows or someone wondering why stuff was down for longer than you said it would be?

We have "maintenance windows" if that's what you mean, but they never
run over and are frequently faster than planned because all maintenance
is pre-tested (see above).

We have had systems in WA sites that have gone 20 years without a
reboot. Obviously not common, nor exposed to the outside world. But we
do _reliable_ and mission critical.

I'm quite OCD about stability issues, so I've worked my way into a
business that not only entertains my neuroses, but relies on them.