[plug] Debian releases

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Aug 14 06:30:33 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 12:37:54PM +0800, Linda Ray wrote:
> On 14/08/15 12:18, lranderson wrote:
> >      Hi plugger's everywhere,
> >      Could someone tell me where I can obtain a current copy of Debian.
> >      Full details would be good.
> Hello Laurie, [...] download Debian/Jessie 8 version

Hi Laurie, Linda!

Yes, that's right, the current stable is version 8 "jessie", still pretty
new. The install files will be from April (8.0.0) or June 2015 (8.1.0 -
that does not constitute a new version of Debian 8 but only updates some
of the packages included, what you would get from normal updates).

The place to start would be: https://www.debian.org/

It has a download link for a little network installer .ISO file; and the
"Getting Debian" and the https://www.debian.org/CD/ links will help you
find the larger .ISOs. Garry just posted a good local mirror link.

There's an installation manual here, with a quick "Installation Howto"
in appendix A.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

You might want the first debian-8.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso file, about
3.7GB. It's a little smaller than a blank DVD, so that you can copy it
onto a 4GB or larger USB memory stick as well, with dd or even just cp.
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb

> [qbittorrent] from (not SourceForge.net) but the other one now preferred I believe is
> from site called github..,
> using Australian or Western Australian mirror on the list shown and then
> BURNT (not copied) with xfburn, or handbrake application, the ISO to a
> DVD (I used a re-writable one) in case it didn't work.
>
> You will need to search for the appropriate one to suit your laptop..
> mine was amd64 version for linux installed on Toshiba Satellite
> LD50D-B02H, which had issues
> with wi-fi... I mainly use the ethernet cable from wifi modem and into
> NBN and separate usb wi-fi TP-link TL-WN821N which was working but not
> at the moment (to be sorted).
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Kind Regards,
> newbie Linda

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal