[plug] Linux training for ...

Chris Hoy Poy chris at hoypoy.id.au
Tue Dec 8 01:28:55 UTC 2015

RHCE was the standard 15 years ago when I did mine. My impression is its
been watered down a bit now, but maybe that's my view through bitter tears
of experience and frustration ;-) Nothing beats having some computer
science background either,  but in general it's the attitude that makes the
tech/admin great, skills can be learnt.

Do I recall an attempt at plug mentoring a few years back? Happy to have
discussions around that at times too :-)

My advice now is more along the lines of get some linux happening, learn
some languages, get comfortable with perl, python, etc. Someone will pick
you up if you appear to be enthusiastic about it :-)

/Chris
Linux is very hands-on. Most Linux fans that I've known felt like they
learn better by playing with the OS, rather than sitting in a classroom.
The best kind of learning, based on my very personal experience (~8 years a
home user, 4 months a Linux sysadmin - long story, really), is when you
have a specific goal and you work towards it, troubleshoot, look up
answers, read man pages etc.

I can see the benefit of more formalized studying for some though,
wondering too if there's any service of that sort offered in WA.

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au
Committee e-mail: committee at plug.org.au
PLUG Membership: http://www.plug.org.au/membership