[plug] trying to revive a raid5 system

Jon L. Miller jonl711 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 03:15:41 UTC 2015

I've asked this before to a certain point and now I would like to expand
this in a slightly different direction.

I had a Promise SmartStor unit that had 4 hdd setup as raid 5.
This unit died the good death (after 6 years of no issue operation)
recently.
Worked with Promise and they keep stating that there is no raid on the
system that they can find.

On another document on the web someone mentioned that you can take the
drives and put them in a linux distro with LVM and it'll find the R5 on the
drive and I should be able to copy the data which is all I want to do atm.

What I would like to know is if anyone has done any hacking of a NS4600 or a
NAS of this type, I could use some input.

Regards,

Jon L Miller