[plug] Greylisting and greylistd

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Tue Mar 3 02:29:51 UTC 2015

On 03/03/15 09:48, Andrew Cooks wrote:
> Hi Brad
>
> Have you found the solution for greylistd opt-out? I guess you've had a
> look at the 'optin_dir' option by now. Could you share your solution
> with us?

G'day Andrew,

That was good timing. I had just finished updating my server
modification notes and had literally turned to Thunderbird to post an
update when your mail popped in.

I looked at several options. optin_dir was not really what I was looking
for as I only want to exclude 2 e-mail addrs, and this would require me
explicitly listing every address I wanted it applied to.

I eventually found a solution here:
http://www.diversionmary.com/dmblog/archives/001078.php

It is a one line change to the exim4 acl which looks at a list of
recipient addresses and just unconditionally accepts if they match any
in that list. So, it turns out easier to hack exim to bypass greylistd
for those addresses than it is to get greylistd to just accept them.

It still feels dirty, but if it stops this guy phoning me to add an
entry to the whitelist and then magically getting the remote server (by
telepathy I suppose) to retry instantly, then its worth it.

I also thought of just changing my voice mail message to "Hello IT. Have
you tried turning it off and back on again", but that would just confuse
my real clients.

Regards,
Brad