[plug] Advice wanted - come spend my money (vicariously)

Richard Meyer meyerri at gardenshark.org
Sun Mar 8 01:34:23 UTC 2015

Hi all

I have one of those nice problems.

I bought a "HP MicroServer G7 N54L AMD Dual Core 4GB ECC 4-Bay NAS
Storage Server NO OS 1YRS" off Fleabay and have populated it with a
small amount of storage and installed an OS -

     1. 4 x 2TB Seagate disks - would have preferred Hitachi, but
        they're difficult to get here
     2. Installed Ubuntu server (14.04)

disks are partitioned as follows -

     1. 20GB clipped off the front of each disk (just to keep them
        "similar")
     2. sda1 and sdb1 are RAID 1, ext4 and contain /
     3. sdc1 contains /home, ext4
     4. sdd1 is swap space
     5. sda2, sdb2, sdc2 and sdd2 are software RAID 5 formatted with XFS

Now my dilemma is is there a better filesystem I could use instead of
XFS?

Since I haven't really got much going yet, now would be a good time to
find out, before I have to move 5TB of pr0n around to reformat the
disks.

Can anyone suggest a better way of setting all this up?

--
Richard Meyer

If my body is ever found on a jogging trail, just know
I was murdered elsewhere and dumped there.

Linux Counter user #306629