[plug] Mail questions

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Fri Mar 13 14:13:18 UTC 2015

On 13/03/15 18:53, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> First thing you should do is to EXport your emails into an IMAP
> server's store.  It saves a lot of headaches when moving from client
> to client. I've run a local Cyrus-IMAP since 1288 BC. It doesn't
> care if it's on the same host and keeps your emails client-agnostic.
> Any email client worth using supports IMAP. Enable the appropriate
> security for your network.

> Other swear by Courier IMAP. Do what fits your mind best.

I did precisely this back in 2011. After years of Opera, then
Thunderbird in various incarnations I decided to install Courier IMAP
and then just progressively feed it my archives. In 2012 I switched to
Dovecot and I'm still using it..

Prior to running my own mail server I used fetchmail & procmail to sort
the mail for me, now I just have Exim deliver through procmail.

Best move I ever made. It's now completely client agnostic. My mail is
accessible on my PC, iPad & Blackberry and I can try and switch clients
with gay abandon.

It's a little bit of a learning curve, but it's a path I wholeheartedly
recommend.

Regards,
Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them