[plug] help needed to rebuild wordpress website

David Godfrey info at sbts.com.au
Thu Oct 1 14:11:01 UTC 2015

Hi Jon,

A quick check leads me to think that it may be worth trying to start the
old install either on new hardware or in a Virtual Machine (eg: Virtual
Box) then use one of the pages found here
Wordpress Migration
<http://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-3911921815512938:0761176136&ie=UTF-8&q=wordpress+backup+to+move+to+new+server&sa=Search&siteurl=www.linuxmint.com/start/qiana/&ref=&sitesearch=#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=wordpress%20backup%20to%20move%20to%20new%20server&gsc.page=1>
to export the site.

It should then be easy to bring it into the new server. the change in
version should get handled gracefully by the import.

Most virtualisation platforms like Virtual Box can be configured to run
a guest from a real hard drive, but I would be inclined to copy the
content of your old drive into a virtual disk, then use your suse boot
disk to boot the guest.

If you think you may want to boot the guest again in the future, rerun
your bootloader config (eg: update-grub) from inside the guest so you
don't need to use the boot disk.

Regards
David G