[plug] Mandatory data retention

Euan euan at dekock.net
Mon Oct 12 10:25:52 UTC 2015

Metadata enables the gov to determine the source and destination of your traffic, and enables them to associate that traffic to a billing entity.

The assumption being that they are already capable of accessing the actual content of the communications - which I don't think is in dispute any more.

By encrypting the data we force them to act within the published law - i.e. They only get to see the meta data they have passed a law to gain access to.

This way we all have a clear understanding of who is seeing what. If they don't want to see the actual data, then encryption shouldn't be an issue.

Deeper encryption, like tor and vpn's also eliminate a lot of the meta data, but not completely, by gathering the meta data directly from your isp they typically capture it before it enters tor, and the vpn endpoints are still visible.

Regards,

Euan.

On 12 October 2015 3:36:37 PM AWST, Jim Householder <nofixed at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>If all that is retained is meta-data, what will encryption accomplish
>other than future-proofing?
>

>On 12/10/15 09:29, Hani Jabr wrote:
>> Isn't this "too little, too late?"  Doesn't this just make you a
>target for the AFP and serve as an excuse to ban encryption?
>>

>>> On 12 Oct 2015, at 08:52, Luke John <email at lukejohn.me> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey Pluggers.
>>>
>>> I'm planning on finally moving to encrypted and off the record
>>> messaging to celebrate the implementation of mandatory data
>tommorrow
>>> starting tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Based on the information put out by the EFF
>>> [Communicating with
>Others](https://ssd.eff.org/en/module/communicating-others)
>>> I'm currently looking at using signal for encrypted messaging and
>>> chatsecure for off the record messaging as both are available on ios
>>> and android.
>>>
>>> Has anyone had experience using these or similar tools and have any
>>> advice for how to encourage friends and family to start using them
>as
>>> well?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Luke