[plug] unable to login via gui after update of ubuntu 14

David Buddrige d.buddrige at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 00:48:30 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I have been able to run the startx command which starts a very basic x session. From there, I can open up a folder on my drsktop and from there navigate to /usr/bin and start gnome-terminal so I now have a raw x session with an unknown (but cery basic) window manager and I can run other apps.

I now need to figure out how to deactivate whatwver program is causing the problem with the login gui, so that I can start my regular ubuntu gui.

I am not super-familiar with the details of x configuration so I'm not even sure where the relevant config files are, that are initialising whatever faulty program is crashing the x session when I try to login.

Thanks heaps everyone for your help so far - I'm slowly making progress in nutting this one out, but any other suggestions are gratefully received.

When I'm home with my wifi, I'll now endeveour to post to the group whatever x logs I can find that might shed light on what it is that is going on.

thanks heaps,

David :-)

Sent from my iPhone