[plug] OT: Security Cameras and Open Source

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 17 12:42:13 AWST 2016

Hi,
    I have had an IP camera for a few years and it worked well until the
UV filter jammed ruining the night vision.  Did catch an inquisitive
person "looking for a party he was told was here" falling into our
fishpond in the dark :)

WiFi cameras work, but tie up very significant bandwidth if you try
external motion detection - I used "motion" at one time.

Almost all require a windows IE browser addin with much of the security
turned off to work so you can set them up ... then they may be partially
usable in Linux :(  The ones I have all need a local connection (i.e.,
wont accept a connection routed from another network where I have Win VM's)

Then a couple of win versions down the road you find yourself
maintaining old win VM's (XP in one case) for the purpose of maintaining
it :(

I also have one with wifi and no night vision - waste of time.

I also would really like to find one that just works with Linux ....

BillK