[plug] OT: Security Cameras and Open Source

Sam Wilson sam at samwilson.id.au
Sun Jul 17 14:15:28 AWST 2016

I worked with a few cheap IP cameras from Jaycar once upon a time. They
cost about $90, and were just basically little RSTP servers with zero
authentication. There was a proprietary IE-only interface, as Bill says,
but I found that I could just ignore that and wrote a tiny script to
wrap logrotate and vlc to record half-hour segments to disk. Worked
flawlessly for years, and although the recording has since been
discontinued, I think the cameras are still being peered at by some
people (this was at a previous workplace; no idea what the current
situation is).

So yeah, an FOSS solution is possible. Not sure I'd call it secure, on
the network, but maybe that's okay.

—Sam