[plug] Help convert to Linux

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Sat Jun 11 12:56:41 AWST 2016

On 11/06/16 10:52, Walter wrote:
> Hello all
>
> My name is Walter I live in Goomalling - just north east of Northam.
> I am in the three score and ten bracket.
>
> Current computer is Acer Aspire about 4 years old
>
> Win 7 64 bit 8G ram or was curtsey Microsoft and there wanting to force
> update to 10
> They have wiped all the system restore data off.
>
> So to Linux.  Thinking Ubuntu or Fedora or both.
>
> Is there any one who would be willing to talk me about linux
> preferably in person. I can visit or can come visit our quiet little town.
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Walter

G'day Walter,

I don't know what your net connection and quota is like, but downloading
a live-cd of each distribution and putting it on a USB stick is a great
way to have a poke around and evaluate your hardware compatibility
without making any commitments.

I can't speak for Redhat based distributions, but certainly Ubuntu makes
it as easy as pie to do this if you have any way of downloading an ISO
file from either Windows or Linux.

8G of Ram will do you very nicely for even the latest distributions, so
you should be good to go.

There are some (actually many) extremely helpful and knowledgeable
people on this list, so you're in good hands.

Regards,
Brad