[plug] When the mind is willing but suppliers are reluctant ...
craig at fostware.net
Tue Mar 8 11:20:52 UTC 2016
Is an trial OwnCloud project suitable?
From: plug [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au] On Behalf Of Onno Benschop
Sent: Tuesday, 8 March 2016 10:46 AM
To: PLUG mailing list <plug at plug.org.au>
Subject: [plug] When the mind is willing but suppliers are reluctant ...
I'm looking for ideas.
Client would like to have a file-store that is accessible via the Internet for mobile users. They'll be storing both little (Office) and big (VMware images) files. Their users have 20 MBit LAN access in the office and 3G/4G on the road.
Likely usage patterns:
· Create VMware image in the office, store on the file-store, download by several engineers before going out into the field.
· Store corporate templates and customer config files in the file-store, have local cached copy on their laptops. Synchronise on return.
· General office use, mail-merge, office, etc.
· Revision control
· Offline cache
Client has 12 employees today, expected to grow to 100 in 3-4 years.
They currently have a shared (with another company) Windows server that is not working for them. VPN access is not great, server control non-existent.
Ideas I'm playing with, but not liking:
· AWS EFS, not available yet, no versioning, has NTFSv4, unlimited size, great price, ETA is not available.
· storagemadeeasy.com<http://storagemadeeasy.com/> - support is clearly not their strong point - still attempting to get answers after a week of trying with 19 emails exchanged. Looks great on paper, versioning, across multiple providers, different sizes, etc.
· s3fs - fuse based mount of AWS S3, has versioning, has lots of nice things about it, but no-one has made this into an actual product that I was able to find. Could make this work, build an AWS cluster, share it via CIFS or NTFSv4 and do it myself. Not a fan.
Hit me ... please.
()/)/)() ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>? ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. --- ..Morse for Onno..
If you need to know: "What computer should I buy?" http://goo.gl/spsb66
ITmaze - ABN: 56 178 057 063 - ph: 04 1219 8888 - onno at itmaze.com.au<mailto:onno at itmaze.com.au>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the plug