[plug] Fwd: Samba issues

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Sun Mar 13 19:19:36 UTC 2016

On 12/03/16 21:56, Brad Campbell wrote:
> On 12/03/16 21:36, Kevin Shackleton wrote:
>> Oops, sorry David, obviously this was supposed to go to PLUG . .
>>

>> Is there nothing in /var/log/samba?
>>
>> Have you played with oplocks and buffers?  Some years ago now our Samba
>> server was much better than our NT server (see - I said it was a while
>> ago) with keeping up connections over a WAN, I believe because of these
>> settings being more generous than NT's.  Possibly with some trade-off in
>> potential corruption but we never had a problem.  Could be with your
>> hammering the system with a deluge of scripts there are moments when a
>> response does not come quickly enough for Win7.  Raises the question of
>> if anything in Win7 CIFS is tunable in the Registry.
>>
>> Ultimately though I'd go with the NFS suggestion.
>
> Yep, it never even occurred to me to see if Win7 spoke NFS. That's
> gold!. Thanks both of you.

Spoke too soon. Windows NFS support is patchy at best, and unfortunately
only seems to work well with NFS v3. v4 seem to be a problem getting
permissions to work. I'll keep plugging away (see what I did there) and
if I actually make it work I'll try and document it. Thus far every
configuration permutation google has thrown up results in a dead end. I
don't even get far enough to get "mount" to show me a valid
configuration, it just says "Unavailable". It does get a valid auth on
the linux syslog though.