[plug] Fwd: Samba issues

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Thu Mar 24 11:37:39 UTC 2016

On 13/03/16 19:19, Brad Campbell wrote:

> Spoke too soon. Windows NFS support is patchy at best, and unfortunately
> only seems to work well with NFS v3. v4 seem to be a problem getting
> permissions to work. I'll keep plugging away (see what I did there) and
> if I actually make it work I'll try and document it. Thus far every
> configuration permutation google has thrown up results in a dead end. I
> don't even get far enough to get "mount" to show me a valid
> configuration, it just says "Unavailable". It does get a valid auth on
> the linux syslog though.

So, I never got it to work.

The windows nfs client for Windows 7 interferes with a load of windows
remote networking stuff. I tried it on NFS 3 & 4 servers. I tried with
all the registry hacks for Anonymous UID & GID settings. I installed 3
of Microsofts "Hotfix" packs for the enterprise that were supposed to
make things better. After a week of frustration and now broken SMB
networking I gave up and uninstalled it.

After the un-install I also had to search the registry and remove all
references to 'nfs41' to get SMB networking working correctly as it
interferes with network search orders.

I then upgraded the Debian server to Samba 4 using the backports
packages. That worked out of the box and didn't require any
configuration changes, but it didn't solve the problem.

A couple more 'hotfixes' and some registry tweaks later and no
improvement. If I changed the file on the Linux Server, can ran 'type
file.name' in a command window on the Windows client I could see the
contents were still not updating for a minute or so.

Fast forward another day or so and we arrive at oplocks. Disable oplocks
in the share in question (in the smb.conf file) and the problem has gone
away.

It wasn't a problem for XP or Server 2003, and I tried restricting the
protocol samba supported back to those versions, but there is something
that has changed about the way Windows 7 manages oplocks that broke things.

Regards,
Brad