[plug] hi res video

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Fri Mar 18 21:52:10 UTC 2016

Hi Kevin,

I've got a MSI GForce GTX980Ti Gaming. It supports up to 4 monitors, 4k
is supported with the 3 x DisplayPort and 1 x HDMI v2 ports. You can use
any combination of ports (including DVIDL or vga) but only the DP and
HDMI v2 supports 4k. I'm pretty sure you can have one monitor in
portrait and one landscape but haven't tried it.

So you have to have at least one monitor with DisplayPort and/or one on
HDMI v2 with 4k. I'd have to look it up to see if HDMI v1.2/1.3/1.4
supports 4k, he needs to check what his monitor supports.. So if his
monitors have DisplayPort, I think he'll be fine.

The card will support V1.x too, but the high end cards have HDMI v2.

Other model cards can have different combinations of ports.

If he wants more grunt for CAD or something he can always add a second
card for SLI, but $1100 cards start to hurt after one.. But again, have
a look at text at 4k before hitting the plastic. A much cheaper card
like a GTX 970 or 980 would be fine at 1440p (maybe even 4k) if not
gaming, but he needs to keep the available monitor/card ports in mind.

Regards

Garry