[plug] stream help

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Sun Feb 5 14:58:48 AWST 2017

Hi,

> I want to stream a video file from computer a to computer b
>
> using command line (no gui)
>
> using mplayer or mpv
>
> what I need is a working example (from there I can experiment)

This works for me, using vlc (and its command-line-only version, 'cvlc').

On the destination machine, displaying the stream:

    vlc udp://@:9997

On the server, sending the stream:

    cvlc --sout '#standard{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=<dest>:9997}' <file>

Where:

 <dest> is the hostname or IP address of the destination machine
 <file> is the media file to stream

This will stream data over UDP port 9997, using a MPEG transport stream.
This assumes that the destination vlc has the correct codecs for <file>,
but you can get the server to transcode before streaming if necessary.

Cheers,

Jeremy