[plug] Monitor resolution changes on opening a console terminal

Kevin Shackleton krshackleton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 16:50:08 AWST 2017

Hi All,

I have a first world problem.  I updated my display from (2 of) 1680 * 1050
to (1 of) 4K.  All sweet.

However, when I open a terminal, the screen switches to 1680 * 1050
resolution, as though that's a setting in .bashrc or similar.

I can't find a Google hit on this problem, and I can't rgrep any config
file (such as .config/monitors.xml) in my home folders or in /etc
containing "1680".  The system should not prefer this resolution any more.

It's interesting that the resize occurs when opening either Gnome Terminal
or xterm, suggesting it's not a config for one app.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Kevin.