[plug] Monitor resolution changes on opening a console terminal

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Sep 8 14:00:54 AWST 2017

On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 04:50:08PM +0800, Kevin Shackleton wrote:
[...]
> However, when I open a terminal, the screen switches to 1680 * 1050
> resolution, as though that's a setting in .bashrc or similar.

I don't know how it would have gotten in there... but if something
indirectly runs xrandr(1) as part of your shell startup, that could do it?

The startup files that bash could use are in:
man bash | less +/^INVOCATION

You could confirm if /usr/bin/xrandr gets called with execsnoop(8)
(Debian/Ubuntu package perf-tools-unstable ; or as found from:
https://github.com/brendangregg/perf-tools
or:
http://www.brendangregg.com/ebpf.html
https://github.com/iovisor/bcc
)

It's possible that the RandR code is being called from elsewhere,
e.g. via DBUS calls, which could be spotted with dbus-monitor ?

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal