[plug] 4G modem advice

Gregory Orange home at oranges.id.au
Mon Aug 6 20:15:32 AWST 2018

Thank you everyone, I'm really happy to have all that input.

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 at 13:27, Nick Bannon <nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> That could do the job, D-Link DWR-116 for $79, you say?
>
> https://www.dlink.com.au/home-solutions/DWR-116-wireless-n300-3g-4g-multi-wan-router

Looking at it again, it would need a USB modem as well, to house the SIM
and actually make the connection. I'd rather avoid that complexity for the
user in question.

> http://wiki.ucc.asn.au/UCCCamp2018 recently used a
>
> http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/mobile-broadband/lte-modems/LB2120.aspx
> with an external LTE antenna, seemed to do the job.

I'm really glad to hear of someone using one, because I saw that too and
thought it might be good. They've got WiFi already, so they could plug it
into that.

I don't suppose you know if that unit gets used much, or if UCC would be
willing to lend it to me for a few days for some testing? The signal from
the place in question is good enough on my phone so I figure it'll be fine,
but I'd rather not just take a punt with someone else's money if I can test
first (:

Greg.

--
Gregory Orange