[plug] 4G modem advice

Gregory Orange home at oranges.id.au
Wed Aug 8 15:13:57 AWST 2018

Thanks Chris. I'm trying to avoid re-jigging or a server for this, so
if it costs $200 (we'll see about that Netgear) then that will be
okay. Routing around NBN for these folks is looking like a huge
performance boost: a simple speed test on my phone at their place
showed great (3x? 10x? Can't remember) boosts to latency, uplink and
downlink speeds. Poor old 'NBN' (ha!) Satellite just can't compete.

I'm also considering my old iiNet BobLite which I think had a SIM
slot, or maybe it was just a USB slot and I'd need a modem. I'll see
if I threw it out when we went to NBN. Cue rant...

That's another failed part of NBN - nearly all existing modems get
chucked, and people don't know what to do with them, so they go to
landfill. Techs who were already onsite in every neighbourhood could
easily have been lumped with collecting them all up, which I'm sure
they would have been unimpressed about, but that's a lesser problem
that could have been solved too.

--
Gregory Orange