[plug] Sacrilege - running Linux on MacBook

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Fri Jan 5 13:45:57 AWST 2018

On 04/01/18 16:34, Richard Meyer wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have succumbed to the Apple media machine and bought a second hand
> MBPro off Fleabay - it's a nice machine, fairly snappy and so on and the
> touchpad is great - keyboard not too bad either.
>
> Anybody taken it to the next step and installed OFOS* on it yet?

I'm running triple boot OSX/Mint DE/Win7 on a 2015 13" rMBP.

I bought it specifically to run Linux on and keep the other two OS
around for the (extremely rare) times I need the real thing.

The WiFi is a bit of a pain with the proprietary wl driver being a bit
temperamental. The in-built SD reader does not come back after a
suspend/resume (it has the same bug under Windows). Some strange USB3
related bug with the device. A quick Hibernate/Resume brings it back so
there is something power related.

Other than that it's great. I have the resolution turned down to
1920x1200 as I don't need any more display realestate and I'm getting old.

With the PCIe SSD it goes like a stung cat. The only thing that doesn't
work and I've never bothered to investigate is the webcam, but that fact
just saved me from putting a sticker over it anyway.

As far as laptops go, it's probably one of the best I've owned. A bit
heavy compared to the carbon fibre and magnesium VAIO it replaced, but
far more robust.

I do keep the kernel up to date as the period fixes to the thunderbolt
driver come in handy when I use the Ethernet dongle or Thunderbolt Display.

Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them