[plug] buying a laptop in Perth

Dean Bergin dean.bergin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 08:07:15 AWST 2018

Thanks Marcos for reminding us about the Metabox price tag!

Also I forgot to mention another (albeit pricey) option (apologies if this
was already mentioned) being the Librem line of laptops at Purism [1].

[1] https://puri.sm

On Tue., 30 Jan. 2018, 10:22 Marcos Raúl Carot, <marcos.carot at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> EULA arrangement with Microsoft.
>>>
>>> It has a quad core Intel i5 8250U 1.6GHz (turbo to 3.4GHz) which is a
>>> quad core + hyperthreading.
>>> Why not an i7? Because you will mainly kill your battery life, in return
>>> for very little extra performance - remember it's a mobile CPU
>>> infrastructure.  A desktop replacement approach will always be bigger,
>>> heavier and eat more power (been there, tried that).
>>>
>>> It comes with 8GB RAM.  However, physically it's a replaceable module
>>> and you can upgrade it yourself to 16GB. Unfortunately only 1 module so
>>> single channel (=slower), but it performs decently anyhow.
>>> I haven't yet done a RAM upgrade on it as the 8GB will do me for now.
>>>
>>> Then, the model linked has 128GB SSD, it's actually an M.2 module.  You
>>> could upgrade it.
>>> But, the laptop actually has a full 2.5" space inside, occupied by a
>>> heavy stainless steel bracket to keep the structural integrity.
>>> So I put an SSD in there (960GB actually, a Sandisk I snaffled for only
>>> a few hundred dollars the previous year on black friday), and boot my Linux
>>> straight from there.
>>> That only 'cost' me 5 grams, as the SSD is barely heavier than the steel
>>> bracket I took out.
>>> Total laptop weight is about 1.8 kg.
>>>
>>> The screen is 14" Full HD (1920x1080), touchscreen if you want to use
>>> that capability.
>>>
>>> Then, you'll be happy to know that everything works, mostly
>>> out-of-the-box.
>>> I installed Xubuntu 17.10 (xfce desktop).
>>> I tweaked a few things: power management can be improved (others had
>>> already done the homework on that), and if you want to have the automatic
>>> screen rotation working (for tent/tablet modes) you also need to install
>>> some bits for that.
>>>
>>> The battery life is fantastic, I've got 6-10 hours generally. I was at
>>> LinuxConf in Sydney last week, and just to make the point to myself I
>>> actually left the charger in my hotel room every day, and I had 4+ hours
>>> spare at the end of a day even with presentations and videos having run on
>>> it.
>>>
>>> The laptop has full-size HDMI, and USB-C (as well as regular USB).
>>> The HDMI out works out-of-the-box for me, both video and audio.
>>> Brilliant. Oh it's an Intel integrated graphics, runs on the clean free/GPL
>>> drivers.  I've tested it with Runescape and it performs quite adequately.
>>> It's not built to be a gaming laptop so it's actually more than reasonable
>>> for graphics needs.
>>> It won't charge via USB-C, but you can connect an Ethernet port if you
>>> need it (I snaffled a USB hub + gigE for $10, rarely need it but it's
>>> useful) and of course these lightweight laptops don't have a CD/DVD/BluRay
>>> but you can get those very cheaply on USB if you really need to. I won't
>>> bother with that at all.
>>>

>>> Overall I find it a very good laptop for a very decent price.

>>> Arjen.
>>>
>> --
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> *Dean Bergin*.