[plug] buying a laptop in Perth

Rob Fairholme robfairholme at chairware.net
Tue Jan 30 09:44:57 AWST 2018

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 14:09:14 +0800
Marco Dorfliger <choppus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a recent arrival to Perth, and I'm looking to buy a linux laptop
> (without the windows-tax). Where do you guys source your hardware?
>
> Cheers, Marco
>
> (P.S. sorry if this has been asked before - the archives are all
> gzipped, and the search doesn't work it)
>
> (P.P.S happy Australia day!)

I got the machine I'm using now (Toshiba Satellite Pro c850 running
debian and xfce) from Tamala Park Recycling shop
(http://www.mrc.wa.gov.au/Waste-Facilities/Tamala-Park-landfill)
for $50. They don't always have them and despite usually coming with
charger it's LUCK OF THE DRAW - most of them have been tagged and
tested but often presale. Another $50 for another stick of 4gb sodimm
and bung in an unused ssd and I've got a noice little number. You can
haggle with them at Tamala
- just be polite tho! If money's tight and you are prepared to root
around a bit it's a viable option.
Good hunting.