[plug] Video GNU/Linux in some tiny places

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed Jul 18 09:20:13 AWST 2018

Hi Nick,

On 17/07/18 15:41, Nick Bannon wrote:
 > Thinking I might pick up a Android HMD-Global Nokia 3 $90-$100 at
 > Coles/Woolworths to play with - not the fastest, but it has 2GiB RAM,
 > NFC and can run Android 8:
 >
 > https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/391443

Termux is resource light, so that device should be more than adequate.

I wonder if it would be possible to use the NFC reader - e.g. set it up
to make an HTTP request or send a UDP packet when you scan a tag.

I have a phone in my office with Termux specifically set up for
experimenting. It runs a small script on boot which maintains an SSH
tunnel to my server and then I have an entry in my laptop's SSH config
so I can type "ssh termux-phone" from anywhere and it connects to the
phone (via my server). Here's the tunnel script:

https://github.com/chr15m/gnu-linux-in-tiny-places-plug/blob/master/scripts/termux/boot/1-ssh-tunnel

Here's the .ssh/config stanza:

Host termux-phone
	ProxyCommand ssh -A $USER@$HOST nc 127.0.0.1 8022 $*

(substitute your own server's USER and HOST for the variables)

Cheers,

Chris.

--
http://mccormick.cx/