[plug] Stellarium - a stellar piece of software.

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jul 28 01:29:21 AWST 2018

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 06:53:03PM +0800, hatari wrote:
[...]
> Tonight (morning of 28/7/2018) there will be a "blood moon" - a lunar eclipse.  This will be the longest lunar eclipse for the Century.

Just starting now. Not much to see for the next hour, but reaching
totality by 3:30am - happily the clouds have cleared out, thought
Stellarium might be as good as it got, tonight!

https://www.timeanddate.com/live/
http://stellarium.org/

> So I used the animated time-lapse effect on Stellarium to wind it forward through the eclipse period.  Blow me down, it showed the Moon dimming during the eclipse then brightening again afterwards.
> Stellarium?  Stellar!!!
> Congratulations to the Stellarium producers and team.  Wonderful!

Looks like plenty has been added in recent releases.
I like how the rest of the sky apparently brightens up when the Moon
goes dim.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal