[plug] Problem with video drivers for eepc 1000HE using ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Dean Bergin dean.bergin at gmail.com
Tue May 29 17:32:03 AWST 2018

My experience with laptop graphics has taught me not to rule out hardware
issues. I have a Dell XPS M1730 which refuses properly output over DVI
without a VGA adaptor and more recently, fails to display on the inbuilt
LCD screen.

I would suspect hardware or firmware problem (or memory maybe? - depending
if it uses shared memory), but try Andrews suggestion.

On Tue., 29 May 2018, 11:17 Andrew Furey, <andrew.furey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps try lowering the resolution? That's all I can think, in terms of
> what I've seen with external TVs etc.
>
> (Apologies for the top posting, grr Gmail...)
>
> Andrew
>
> (Re-replying to send to the list - admins has the Reply-To disappeared?)
>
> On 28 May 2018 at 19:27, David Buddrige <d.buddrige at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a rather old EEPC 1000HE laptop that I am trying to load up with
>> ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
>>
>> The problem is that I can’t get the laptop screen to work properly. It
>> just displays garbled nonsense (exactly like this:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/5khdj3c22t5vgb9/IMG_1873.JPG?dl=0 )
>>
>> The thing is, the screen works fine if i plug in an external monitor (I
>> can even do extended display using both screens). But if I boot the system
>> without an external monitor, then I get the garbled screen as per the
>> screenshot).
>>
>> Has anyone got any thoughts on this - I’ve been trawling google for hours
>> but with no luck so far)
>>
>> thanks heaps for any suggestions
>>
>> David
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

> --
> Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
> reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
> Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
> enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
>                           -- Bill Garrett

Kind Regards,

*Dean Bergin*.