[plug] Introduction + broken links

Richard Jones bwl at vivaldi.net
Fri Nov 9 18:55:36 AWST 2018

Hello,

just joined this list....

I've been using Debian gnu-linux for ages but regrettably
I've been lazy, using gui mostly and missing out on the
power available through the cli. One motivation for coming
here is that I do want to start using that power and I'm
thinking that interaction in plug may ease the transition.

I've always been puzzled when I see linux people talking
about that other transition, from Redmond malware to linux,
as difficult. When I first made that switch, the primary
motivation was to get away from a broken OS that could only
be made to work by CS experts, likewise could possible be
made as secure as linux but again only by experts.

Once I bit the bullet, I had a system that is normally
working instead of normally broken, and if I had
difficulties help was only a search away, in contrast to the
ridiculous amount of time wasted trying to deal with
multiple hassles on a daily basis.

While I'm here....

I started exploring list archives and found that there are
multiple broken links to, apparently, an obsolete address at
old.plug...

Using a clue from the address of the plug archive, I found
the lists seem to be all at lists.plug.org.au/pipermail/...

I hope this is useful as I'm expecting, sadly, to do much
more taking than giving.

Richard