[plug] What hardware would suit a beginner

Warren Argus warren at warbel.net
Wed Nov 14 09:43:09 AWST 2018

Hi Reza,

As others have said, the answer really depends on what you want to
learn and do with Linux (and your budget of course!).

The best way to learn is by doing and if you have the time and money, I
can recommend Linux Academy courses (https://linuxacademy.com/) in
particular the Linux Professional Institute (LPI) Linux essentials
course: https://linuxacademy.com/cp/modules/view/id/161 which I think
is free and will introduce you to a lot of the basics. If you start
there and use virtual machines to learn on it will save you a lot of
heartache (and re-imaging) until you really understand how Linux works
and feel comfortable modifying the system, breaking it, and fixing it.

If you're really keen to use some physical hardware then a RaspberryPi
is a lot of fun, otherwise any old Desktop PC will be enough to get
started on. It really depends on what you want to do.

In terms of distributions I would recommend sticking to the major
platforms that are easy to use: Centos, or Ubuntu (or Linux Mint which
I think is a bit more user friendly again for desktop users).

Kind regards,

Warren