[plug] Looking for assistance with a recent Debian upgrade

Joe Aquilina joe at chem.com.au
Wed Dec 18 11:42:20 AWST 2019

sestatus and getenforce both show selinux as disabled.

There is already another account that is occasionally used to login to
the server - it fails exactly the same as my (joe) account. I don't
believe that any scripts at login.

And yes I did edit the output to protect the "guilty" ... replaced the
real server name with <server> and the server's IP address. I presumed
that is what was requested when it was suggested that I post a sanitised
copy of the login attempt output.

Cheers.

Joe Aquilina

On 18/12/19 11:08 am, mike wrote:
> On 18/12/2019 10:43, Joe Aquilina wrote:
>> I have no idea about selinux, whether it is installed/enabled. How do
>> I check that and disable it if necessary, and then re-enable?
>
> sestatus orgetenforce
>
> If file not found then not in use.
>
> Are you removing details from the output? IE:
> Authenticated to <server> ([ip.address of server]:22).
>
> Mine says
> debug1: Authentication succeeded (publickey).
> Authenticated to nos ([10.222.0.4]:22).
>
> Another thought is what does the passwd file say for your login? I have /bin/bash on the end
>
> What user are you trying to login as?
>
> Are you running any scripts at login that may be failing?
>
> Have you tried another user?
>
> Maybe create a new user and try logging in with that just to remove the user as being an issue.
>
> --
> 'ooroo
>
> Mike...(:)-)
> Email:mike at wolf-rock.com          o
> You need only two tools.        o /////
> A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
> doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
> the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
> shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\

Joe Aquilina
Central Chemical Consulting Pty Ltd
PO Box 2546 Malaga WA 6944 Australia
1/11 Narloo St Malaga 6090 Australia
Tel: +61  8 9248 2739  Fax: +61  8 9248 2749
joe at chem.com.au  www.chem.com.au