[plug] Looking for assistance with a recent Debian upgrade

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Thu Dec 19 23:38:08 AWST 2019

On 18/12/19 1:13 pm, Joe Aquilina wrote:

> I have been reluctant to jump to amd64 on this system because it is a
> rather complicated setup, which I am not confident that I could recreate
> from scratch if the worst happened. But as you say, perhaps it is time
> to do it anyway.

I've run i386 distributions on x64 kernels for years.

Last week I crossgraded a Devuan ASCII (So Debian Stretch) install from
i386 to x64 relatively painlessly. Anything post Wheezy can be done with
the instructions here : https://wiki.debian.org/CrossGrading

That machine had been running an i386 distribution on an x64 kernel for
probably 10 years before I got around to upgrading the userspace. It's
co-located on the other side of the globe, so there were precautionary
backups and much arse clenching during the process, but it all went
cleanly. I'm sure had I not had comprehensive backups it wouldn't have
been anywhere near as smooth however.

--
An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful
experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very