[plug] VPN over 320U dongle

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 14 13:39:19 AWST 2020

Hi all,

Here is another VPN question. I am using OpenVPN on my laptop to connect
to a couple of different target networks. When I am connected to
ethernet or wireless, I have no issues. If I connect the laptop to the
Telstra 4G Mobilenet WWAN using a Sierra Wireless 320U dongle, the
OpenVPN says that it connects fine, but it refuses to carry any traffic.

If I hot-spot my phone, also on Telstra 4G, and connect the laptop via
wireless, it all works fine.

Apart from this issue, everything else seems to work. Web browsing
(http/https) and emailing (POP/SSL, SMTP/TLS) have no issues. I haven't
tried other applications as I usually use those over the VPN.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Steve