[plug] Debian "how to help" guidelines

hatari hatari at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 24 17:05:37 AWST 2020

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 16:00:42 +0800
Benjamin <zorlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Stumbled upon this very insightful post on the Debian forums on how to help
> people when the people you're helping aren't very tech savvy.
>
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47077
>
> Thought it might be worth passing around.
> ~ B

In the modern world of the global Net you often stumble upon a site where the author
of a story is a Writer.  What I mean is the person is a PROFESSIONAL Writer.  That is
their job.  They must produce "stuff" so it "sells".  Otherwise, no money.  Some go
to odd lengths to "sell" their wares (their writing).

In the case of the "blogosphere" that "sell" just means the Writer want to create a
story that others talk about, that gets "noticed".

(Note, I am not denying that a lot of good stuff IS produced.  Really good, helpful,
informative stuff.  I love that.)

To me, that story (in the link) has all the hallmarks of someone who sat down to produce
a story that "sells".  To me, they have never walked the halls of a (medium to large)
workplace and worked with real people.  I mean the variety of personalities.

About 5% of people (ie Workers) are happyish and polite most of the time; 40% are "there"
(there to get money - but don't bother interacting); 40% work but are unresponsive to any
external stimuli (including to offers to help); 30% angry pretty much all the time; 90%
downright rude because you are just the I.T. guy; and the rest are everyday, garden-variety
a..holes.

Sorry.  I worked in Government, Local Government, Private Enterprise and privately.  Story
always the same.  Glad I got out alive.  (Although, my cynicism does suggest to me that I
may have died somewhere along the way.)

Good Luck.

(No.  Actually, get out while you can!)

P.S.
In case you missed it.  My response is: that formula does NOT work.  It is nonesense.

Regards,