[plug] Filesystems for lots of inodes

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Wed Jan 15 22:35:32 AWST 2020

On 9/1/20 2:12 pm, Brad Campbell wrote:
> On 8/1/20 13:39, Byron Hammond wrote:
>> I'm keeping my eye on this thread with great interest.
>>
>> I'm really curious to see what your findings are and how you got there.
>>

> It will be interesting. I'll say in response to "how you got there", the
> current answer is _slowly_.

Untarring the backup file onto a clean ext4 filesystem on a 5 drive
RAID5 took 176 hours for the bulk restore, and then tar seems to do
another pass removing symlinks, creating a new symlink and then
hardlinking that. That took an additional 7 hours.

So ~183 hours to restore the tar file onto a clean ext4 filesystem.

At least I have a reproducible test case. That averaged 5.3MB/s.

Correcting my mistake, this filesystem has 50.2 million inodes and 448
million files/directories.

root at test:/server# tar -tvzf backups.tgz | wc -l
448763241

Just the tar | wc -l took the best part of a day. This might take a while.

--
An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful
experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very