[plug] New member enquiry

James Elliott jamesroderickelliott at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 16:25:56 AWST 2020

I have been looking at your plug.org.au website, and also the 'meetup'
one.  I am not sure how to contact you - nearly joined up with meetup site
by mistake - so I thought I would write to plug at plug.org.au.

A few months ago I installed Linux Mint 19 (Cinnamon) on my Windows 10
computer in a dual boot system. I have had no problems with Mint until
recently, and it has become my main OS.  The only reason I go back to
Windows is when I need to use my CorelDRAW software, which, unfortunately,
is written for Windows. Recently, when I started my computer, and selected
Linux, my computer booted into a Linux terminal type screen with error
messages, and I have not been able to repair the installation, which is a
shame as it has my life in there. Fortunately, a lot of stuff is backed up
to an external hard disc (but not everything). If I could get Linux up and
running again, without losing all my data, it would be great. I don't want
to go back to Windows.

I graduated from Murdoch in 2003 with an IT degree which included Linux,
but that was 17 years ago and I have not kept up-to-date with Linux.

Apart from wanting to solve this problem, I would like to join your group
and become proficient in using Linux, again. I live in Collie, (200 km
south of Perth and 40 km inland from Bunbury). Do you have any members in
the South West? I'm happy to come to Perth for meetings and other event,
perhaps when the Corona Virus has gone away.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Jim

James Elliott BSc(WA) GradDipCompSt(Murdoch) MAACB  JP