[plug] Newbie: USB-C multi-port dock

Gregory Orange home at oranges.id.au
Fri Dec 3 20:27:59 AWST 2021

Hi Rob,

On 2/12/21 5:51 pm, Rob Phillips wrote:
> # does anyone know of other USB-C docks which will handle: 3+ USB 2/3 ports; HDMI or similar; ethernet; extra USB-C ports for peripherals, etc.?
> # How hard is it to get them working  on Ubuntu (latest production version)?
> # Can I purchase in Perth?

In late 2020 I bought a Thinkpad X1 7th gen, and USB-C 40AF0135AU dock to go with it. It requires proprietary drivers which didn't work easily with my favoured Lubuntu, but they're designed for vanilla Ubuntu and have been working fine with it for a year now. I use two monitors with it - from memory one HDMI and one DisplayPort. I only use LTS versions because I'm upgrade lazy.

I purchased from lenovo.com, not in Perth per se. It may possibly suit your needs.

At work there are two Dell USB-C docks on two different desks, each with a HDMI attached monitor, mouse and keyboard. I don't know if they're the same model (I could check if you like), but I plug my Thinkpad into them, and they work fine, including remembering my screen layout for each, given that one is arranged to the left and the other is right.

I just have to maintain separate ~/.clusterssh/config files for each setup, otherwise the software gets confused with geometry (:

HTH,
Greg.