[plug] Newbie: USB-C multi-port dock

warren at warbel.net warren at warbel.net
Tue Dec 7 08:29:29 AWST 2021

Hi Rob,

Earlier this year I purchased a dock from PLE (https://www.ple.com.au/Products/646810/ALOGIC-4K-Display-Universal-Docking-Station---100W-Power-Delivery).

Most ‘good’ modern docking stations will be USB-C thunderbolt with displaylink and displayport. If your monitors only have hdmi, you may need to get some adaptors. It’s important to make sure that your laptop has a compatible thunderbolt port and that the dock can put enough watts out for your laptop to charge.

The dock above works with both my work HP Elitebook i7 (running windows) and my personal Lenovo Yoga i7 <https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/yoga/yoga-2-in-1-series/Yoga-7-14ITL5/p/88YGC701456>  running Kubuntu 20.04 LTS. Both have usb-c thunderbolt ports.

With regards to drivers: you’ll need to install the display port drivers to get the functionality of the dock: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu.php

Kind regards,

Warren