[plug] Can anyone recommend resources (local and online) for developing a Linux SOE ?

warren at warbel.net warren at warbel.net
Wed Apr 6 09:18:31 AWST 2022

As others have pointed out: RHEL in a commercial setting would be the usual go-to. If you’re hell-bent on stability, then avoid RHEL’s upstream editions (Fedora/Centos). I would aim to use Rocky Linux instead which is a downstream version of RHEL 8. Where I work, we use mostly Ubuntu, with a small spattering of Centos because you can’t make everyone happy and some software vendors only work with yum/dnf.

The new version of Ubuntu 22.04 allegedly has better support for Active Directory integration and management, but I haven’t had the time to investigate.

Even if you paid for support from RHEL, they aren’t going to build a SOE/MOE for you. Access to their documentation is free though if you sign up for a developer account (which will also give you access to limited RHEL licensing).

I honestly can’t think of any MSPs in Perth that could build a Linux SOE and outside of the universities/research sector. There isn’t much demand commercially anyway (as far as I’m aware). Linux mostly exists in datacentres not on desktops. Plus, the sort of people who like to use Linux on their desktops are generally allergic to having them centrally managed. It might be easier from an administrative perspective to isolate them on your network (zero-trust) and funnel their access to shared resources via MFA’d/IaP solutions etc.

TL;DR: No one in Perth really supports Linux, there isn’t a big enough market. You’ll probably have to have at least one offering of a Debian based and RHEL based system for compatibility reasons. Aim for stability, use the LTS releases. Configuration management and automation is your friend. But it might be better politically to let your users install Linux themselves and isolate them from sensitive systems.

-w