[plug] Small Business users and Linux?

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Fri Apr 8 16:39:18 AWST 2022

The discussion here around SOE and different levels of support by Red Hat
and others leads me to start a conversation around users who are not part
of a corporate office, the people whom I generally work with, the small and
micro businesses, the ones that account for most of the GDP in the country,
the ones that are by enlarge shackled to the Microsoft ecosystem, where
rebooting for regular updates is "normal", where antivirus software is a
source of revenue for suppliers, but has absolutely no value for the person
paying, where backups are done on a decade old USB stick that may or may
not be actually working, where offsite means in your backpack or bedside
table at home.

I'm not talking about the semi computer literate people, some of whom might
dabble with Linux on the side, I'm taking about businesses that are
required to use MYOB because that's what their accountant uses.

What I want to know is what is being done about those people?

What's being done for students using their first serious computer?

What about the local corner store that uses excel to track stock, or the
farmer who has a bunch of worksheets to track their stock breeding program?

What is being done about those people? How are people like Red Hat,
Canonical and others working towards those people?

What are YOU doing about it?
--
finger painting on glass is an inexact art - apologies for any errors in
this scra^Hibble

()/)/)() ..ASCII for Onno..