[plug] Small Business users and Linux?

Dean Bergin dean.bergin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 07:24:30 AWST 2022

I, personally don't buy off-the-shelf computers in order to avoid the
bundled copy of windows that comes with it. If I still want windows, I'll
buy a cheap key instead of absorbing the cost through my purchase.

Unfortunately Microsoft has a stranglehold on the PC market at least when
it comes to retail through the OEM program they operate with vendors.

Now the people you describe herein are the type that will typically only go
to jb hi-fi or some retail store and don't know how or don't want to build
their own computer to avoid receiving an OEM copy of windows.

There are some online retailers that do sell computers with Linux options,
like Dell, but your often limited to only a single distribution like Ubuntu
and the price isn't necessary any cheaper.

The difficulty I see is trying to change the mindset of consumers and
education around the convenience of retail vs potential economics or
benefits of custom building a computer.