[plug] Linux Firewall questions from a non expert home user

Daniel daniel at iinet.net.au
Sun Apr 10 09:33:09 AWST 2022

Hi Plug
It seems many routers are low power and aren’t ever updated by users and rarely by their makers.

I’m wondering about a firewall where I can (& will need to) put my hand up for support.

I was also thinking about the possibility of having wireless set up with say Wireguard VPN where the SSIDs suggested the destination and no software needed to be installed on a new device.

Possibly ‘hosting’ a low speed low cost hobby webserver from home

Untangle seems good for my non expert status but not easily adapted for the wireless and not necessarily powerful enough

Pfsense popular and even I read working on inclusion of Crowdsec. Some hardware designed for it (like Netgate 6100)

Generic linux box with two network interfaces  (eg https://morefines.com/products/morefine-s500-mini-pc)
UFW (GUFW) ideally I can turn some features on and off
https://suricata.io/
https://crowdsec.net/
the last two seem to support an adaptive system
Wireguard

Anyway I may be heading in the wrong direction at great speed

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Daniel