[plug] Programming for kids

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Fri Aug 5 21:53:42 AWST 2022

When I was 10 my folks brought home an Apple ][ clone from Hong Kong.
I learned to program Applesoft BASIC and rapidly progressed to 6502 machine code (we couldn't afford an assembler).

I'm fluent in Pascal, C, Python, and Java bytecode (not the language but the actual byte code) and a number of assembler architectures.
I hate Java as a language.

Myself and the 8 year old built his first computer tonight, and we're talking about programming.

What do I start with? My gut says Python (write in one window and run in another), but is there something better for kids that I can come up to speed on?

Perplexed,
Brad