[plug] Programming for kids

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Fri Aug 5 22:51:20 AWST 2022

On 5/8/22 22:38, Gregory Orange wrote:
> If they've already done some block programming (Scratch or whatever), Minecraft (edu edition?) has block programming with a Python tab as well, which my youngster has launched into, with me cheering from the sidelines.
>
> She went to an afternoon codekids thing recently and IIRC they used IDLE - seemed to do the job fine.
>
> (Bah humbug I thought, learn vim and never look back... oh wait, I'm old, and new gen has to do things their way. Forest != trees, trees != forest.)

If it makes you feel any better, I was well into my 30's before I learned vim/vi (and never looked back).

He's done Minecraft, but only on the iPad and without programming. While I like the idea of the drag and drop block paradigm (and he's done that with LEGO) I was contemplating something a little lower level.

Appreciate the input, I'm off to check out IDLE.

Regards,
Brad