[plug] pushd and popd

Gregory Orange home at oranges.id.au
Thu Jan 20 13:40:38 AWST 2022

On 20/1/22 1:06 pm, Juneidy wrote:
> I wonder if anyone here used `pushd` and `popd` frequently? What sort of
> navigation would you use that for?
>
> The best example someone in office told me is if you are following
> source code's function call and does not have terminal multiplexer like
> GNU screen, `pushd` is good if you want to check other source code
> containing the function definition and you can navigate back to the
> calling source code directory just by calling `popd`.

That's exactly the sort of follow-the-bouncing-ball tactic I have used a
few times here and there, but I can't quite seem to form a habit out of
it. I'm a rare screen/tmux user too.

I tend to like seeing one and the other and being able to jump between
them or see them together though. So, I end up with lots of tabs in my
terminals, and separate terminals when I want to show them on screen
together.

Greg.