[plug] Semi OT: linux friendly security cameras

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Sat Jul 16 11:42:06 AWST 2022

On 15/7/22 11:57, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> Hi, Google isn't helping much so I am hoping someone here has expertise in this.  I would like to get a security camera(s) that doesn't send everything to the cloud or china.  Prefer wifi, should be 1080 resolution, can be fully accessed from Linux (I currently do not have a working windows install) and can be made compatible with homeassistant.

It really does depend on what you are after. Decent cameras can take a good sized SD card, provide search/playback/export alongside all configuration over
the web interface and support ONVIF for a number of ways of remotely accessing video streams. Decent cameras generally don't have on-board Wifi though because it's
not used in a security environment. Any wireless bridge could solve that however.

I have a mix of Hikvision (which are about as bottom of the barrel as I'd go) & Bosch cameras currently which all play nice with Linux. I have no experience with homeassistant however.

Regards,
Brad
--
An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful
experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very