[plug] Semi OT: linux friendly security cameras

Kirk Turner gameldar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 15:09:18 AWST 2022

I have the Swann security cameras integrated with Home Assistant. If I
remember correctly it is just using the generic FFMPEG streaming
integration - so it is streaming only support. I've had a plan to get it to
send email alerts and process those via home assistant but I haven't put
that into action. It doesn't require Windows to setup - because you can
connect mouse/keyboard/monitor directly to the box itself to set up - but I
do use their app to go back and view the footage (but that is all local). I
have the wired ones, but I know they do wireless versions too - but they
are not an independent unit so if you are wanting just one or two cameras
they might not be the best option.

Regarding the ESP32 idea - I have an Ov7675 that integrates with
microcontrollers (I got mine as part of the TinyML kit so has a shield for
an Arduino Nano 33 BLE Sense) but it isn't 1080 resolution. Having a quick
search there are higher resolution options and with an ESP I'm guessing
someone has already built an integrated board! In my case the Nano can do
on-board processing for ML, but I'm not sure about the streaming
capabilities.

The other option is to go for the RaspberryPi0W with a camera module. One
of my colleagues has set up one that he integrates with Home Kit via
Homebridge so I'm pretty sure you'd be able to integrate it with Home
Assistant.

Kirk