[plug] email clients for gmail accounts

gavinwc gavin.chester at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 20:36:39 AWST 2022

Hi everyone, I have been a subscriber to this list for ages (20+ years),
and have seen activity on here ebb and flow, and now for the first time in
more than a decade I have a question to ask and hope your collective wisdom
and experience may help :-)

I've been using thunderbird as my email client for a very long time
regardless of which distro I have installed. Now with google's rejection of
"less secure apps" my email via thunderbird has stopped working. I'm not
prepared to have my google account for gmail associated with my mobile
number for 2-factor authentication, and I never accept "login with google"
- I'm telling you that to explain that I try and limit how much user
profiling I allow alphabet to have on me, so that's why I'm looking for a
workaround that I can't find online.

Any ideas? How have you folk tackled this problem? I have thought for a
VERY long time of ditching gmail, and this maybe the tipping point despite
all the hassle that will entail. What about you?

Cheers. Gavin